SPRING 2015 || MAKE-AHEAD, EASY AND GOOD-FOR-YOU

I EAT early in the day. I am up just after 5am and have dressed, eaten breakfast and downed a cup of tea before leaving for work at 6am. ...

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com || monday morning cooking club fruit kompote
I EAT early in the day. I am up just after 5am and have dressed, eaten breakfast and downed a cup of tea before leaving for work at 6am. The morning routine is solid, and fortunately, having raised a biggish brood we’re used to planning ahead. The day’s attire is set out the night before; lunches are prepped to grab and go; and the morning’s breakfast is an unfussy affair. While it’s simple, it still needs to ‘stick to me ribs’ until lunch, which can often be mid-afternoon.

For me it’s usually muesli or granola, with a no fat yoghurt and, of late, a fruit compote. I was introduced to compotes by a friend of my partner’s, who swears by them for sustained energy and as a way to add fruit-based fibre to her daily menu.

This recipe from the Monday Morning Cooking Club is delicious and easy and stores well in the fridge. I’ve given the quantities listed in the club’s second cook book, The Feast Goes On, but next time I make it I’ll cut everything in half – it’s only me that eats it and half the quantities will keep me going for a fortnight. I’ll also cut down the nuts. They’re delicious but I find them hard to take first thing in the morning.

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com || the feast goes on fruit kompote
katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com || pyrex dish and fruit kompote
monday morning cooking club fruit kompote

INGREDIENTS
1 cup pitted prunes, halved
1.5 cups dried apricots, halved
half cup of soft dried figs, quartered
2/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup blanched almonds
1/3 cup pine nuts
teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg (The recipe calls for freshly grated but I didn’t have that and just used ground nutmeg to taste)
¼ cup brown sugar
zest and juice of an orange


The recipe also calls for a tablespoon of rosewater, but I think it’s lovely and fragrant without it.

WHAT TO DO
Make up one to two days before serving.
Place all the cut fruit and nuts in a large bowl - I used a Pyrex bowl with lid for storing it in the fridge. Cover the fruit and nut mix with cold water, stir and refrigerate. Stir a couple of times a day. The mix will become lovely and thick with syrup.

As well as using on my morning granola and yoghurt, I’ve thrown a tablespoon into banana and berry smoothies and it’s yum.

Enjoy.

You Might Also Like

0 comments